Dear SCCPSS Administrators and Staff,
When a student is placed on virtual diversion placement, the Mediation Center will provide a Restorative Conference for the student(s) and their guardian(s). Dependent upon the situation, we also invite other resources and ask a school representative to attend.
Restorative Conferencing is held for all middle and high school Virtual Diversion Placement students.
Restorative Conferencing can be used to help conflict from escalating and eliminate the need for suspension/expulsion/virtual diversion placement. Use this form to refer middle/high student(s) to a Restorative Conference (non-Virtual Diversion Placement).
Once we receive the referral, the Mediation Center performs the following:
- Pre-work: we contact each guardian for permission to speak with their child about the incident; we gather information from all guardians and students. If we find out that others (students, people in the neighborhood, etc.) have been affected, we will attempt to contact them and determine if they should be part of the session.
- Schedule: The Mediation Center will set a time for the session and all parties will receive an email with the date and time and more information about the process.
- Select facilitator: a trained Restorative Conferencing Facilitator will facilitate the session.
- Remind: the Mediation Center will send a reminder email one business day prior to the session.
- Conduct session: the session will be conducted with the desired outcome of reaching an agreement between parties regarding behaviors, strategies for dealing with conflict when returning to school, and identification of support resources at school and possibly other community resources.
- Finalize: A disposition is created for each case referred and emailed to the person as stated in the referral form. If an agreement is reached, the agreement will be included with the disposition.
Frequently asked questions:
Q: How do I refer a conflict/suspended student where more than two students were part of the dispute?
A: Please submit additional referral forms as many times as required.